Bank Information / History
Anderson State Bank’s operation spans three centuries of service to Knox and Henry counties. The Bank was opened in 1876 by A.B. Anderson and Frank Murdoch as The Oneida Exchange Bank. In 1917 the bank became incorporated under the name of Anderson State Bank.
Andrew B. Anderson came to Knox County from Ontario, Canada in May 1852. A native of Scotland, Andrew first stopped in Victoria where he worked as a blacksmith, a trade he learned from his father. He came to Oneida in the summer of 1857 and continued his work as a blacksmith until 1864. He then entered the hardware business and in 1874 began his banking career at the age of 42.
A.B. Anderson’s son, John, joined the bank in 1889. John’s two sons would later join the family business - John Jr., in 1937 and Andrew in 1950. John’s daughter, Margaret Anderson, became a director in 1939 and remains on the board to this day. John, Jr.’s son, Bill, is President and Andy’s son, Dick, is Vice President. The bank’s current CEO, Earl Copeland, has been with the bank since 1959.
Anderson State Bank remains a locally owned, independent institution today.